|Home||Annual Meeting||Meetings||Who We Are||Newsletter||Membership||Awards|
“Seeing the wildlife through the trees: challenges and conservation of forests and wildlife”
The 2016 Annual Meeting for the Central Mountains and Plains Section of The Wildlife Society will be in Steamboat Springs, CO from August 8-11, 2016. Join us!
Highlights of this year’s conference will include:
- R for Wildlife Biologists and Conservation Detection Dog workshops
- Plenary speakers on the contemporary challenges of forest and wildlife management
- Contributed papers and posters, and a new session of Ignite Talks
- Four fun field trips exploring Steamboat’s ecosystems and wildlife
VENUE AND LODGING
The meeting will be held at the Sheraton Hotel in Steamboat Springs. Discounted rooms ($99/night) are available now until July 15. Please click HERE to book your room.
Click HERE to download the current meeting agenda.
“Contemporary Challenges and Conservation of Forests & Wildlife” Tuesday, Aug. 9, 8:30am-12:30pm
- Collaboration as a Model for Wildlife Habitat Management in Changed Landscapes. Rick Truex, U.S. Forest Service.
- Wildlife, Habitat, and Fire: A case study for habitat restoration. Melissa Dressen, U.S. Forest Service.
- Rocky Mountain High Elevation Five-needle White Pine Communities: Wildlife Habitat Under Threat. Diana F. Tomback, University of Colorado – Denver
- Wildlife Responses to Bark Beetle Outbreaks: The Role of Spatiotemporal Complexity in Post-Disturbance Forests. Tracey Johnson, University of Idaho
- Impact of Bark Beetle Outbreaks on Mammals in Colorado. Jake Ivan, Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Click HERE for plenary speaker biographies and abstracts.
- Workshop 1 – Conservation Detection Dogs (limit 20 people), 9 am – 4 pm, Monday, Aug. 8
- Workshop 2 – R for Wildlife Biologists (limit 20 people), 9 am – 4 pm, Monday, Aug. 8
UPDATE: WORKSHOP 2 IS FULL
Click HERE for workshop descriptions.
As of 8/4/16, all field trips are FULL.
- August 8 – An evening of batting at Rehder Ranch, 7-9 pm (Field trip is FULL)
- August 9 – Morning bird walk, 6-8 am (limit 15 people)
- August 10 – Morning bird walk, 6-8 am (limit 15 people)
- August 11 – Buffalo Pass: managing forests and recreation, 8 am-12 pm
(Field trip is FULL)
Click HERE for field trip descriptions.
CALL FOR PAPERS
Click HERE to download the Call for Papers, Posters and Ignite Talks. The deadline for abstracts for presentations, posters, and Ignite talks has been extended. Abstracts are now due on Wednesday, July 6, 2016. Please email abstract submissions for presentations and posters to Mindy Rice (firstname.lastname@example.org) by July 6, 2016.
Ignite at the 2016 CMPS Meeting! “To The Point” sessions have been a staple at many meetings for several years now and provide a great platform for people to quickly share project updates, notes from the field, or other important topics that don’t require a full 20-minute presentation. Ignite talks take this idea one step further by automating slide progression and condensing the talk to 5 minutes! Topics can be inspirational, funny, or informative but all should strive to be engaging and entertaining. Maybe you want to update the membership on the good work of a specific group in the State or maybe you have figured out a better mouse trap, the possibilities are endless. Click on the Call for Papers for more information about Ignite Talks and how to submit one!
Click HERE to view talk and poster abstracts and presenters.
On-line meeting registration will be available via PayPal starting April 1, 2016. You may also register in person at the meeting. Professional registration includes the Monday and Tuesday night socials, Tuesday and Wednesday lunches, and the Wednesday night banquet. Registration for workshops includes Monday lunch. Extra banquet tickets are available for those not attending the meeting, but must be purchased in a separate PayPal transaction. See the list of registration options and prices below.
IMPORTANT – Fill in the information and select the PayPal button BELOW your desired numbered registration option. You may only choose ONE registration option per PayPal transaction. Please list which field trips you will be attending, your banquet meal preference, your affiliation, and your name.
MEETING & BANQUET options include the Monday and Tuesday night socials, lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday, and the Wednesday night banquet. WORKSHOP options include Monday lunch.