The Wildlife Society’s policy staff implements the mission of TWS, working to ensure policies:
- EMPOWER wildlife professionals by incorporating wildlife science, continue the public trust management of wildlife, and grant them the ability to regulate the use of wildlife resources
- ENABLE wildlife professionals by supporting sufficient funding for wildlife conservation and providing them with the tools and resources that enhance their ability to conduct their work
- ASSIST wildlife professionals by helping them achieve science-based management and conservation of wildlife populations and habitats.
The Wildlife Society covers a broad range of policy priorities related to wildlife research, management, and conservation. Staff advance those priorities by communicating with Congress, the Administration, and relevant state, provincial and federal agencies, and preparing and facilitating the development of position statements, technical reviews, fact sheets, policy briefs, policy priority reference lists, and news articles. The Wildlife Society also supports also supports TWS Sections and Chapters with policy engagement in local or regional issues through the Conservation Affairs Network and its Policy Toolkit.
The Wildlife Society actively participates on several coalitions focused on specific policy issues. Coalitions unify a diversity of organizations who have a shared goal on specific policy topics. Staff also develop and manage partnerships with governmental agencies and other non-governmental organizations to strengthen TWS’s voice and provide benefits to our members.
If you have questions or need more information please contact:
- Keith Norris, AWB®, Director
(301)897-9770 ext 309
- Caroline Murphy, AWB®, Government Relations Manager
(301)897-9770 ext 308