The Wildlife Society supports the development and advancement of wildlife professionals throughout their careers. Certification constitutes recognition by TWS that, to its best knowledge, a member meets the minimum educational, experience, and ethical standards adopted by the Society for professional wildlife biologists.
TWS’ membership currently consists of more than 300 Associate Wildlife Biologists® and 1,900 Certified Wildlife Biologists®.
Levels of Certification
Associate Wildlife Biologist®
An individual who has completed rigorous academic standards and is judged able to represent the profession as an ethical practitioner will be designated as an Associate Wildlife Biologist®. The AWB® certification is granted for 10 years and cannot be renewed. An AWB® certified individual can upgrade to Certified Wildlife Biologist® during the 10 year time period once the necessary experience requirements are obtained.
Certified Wildlife Biologist®
An individual with the educational background and demonstrated expertise in the art and science of applying the principles of ecology to the conservation and management of wildlife and its habitats, and is judged able to represent the profession as an ethical practitioner, will be designated as a Certified Wildlife Biologist®. The CWB® certification is valid for 5 years and may be renewed.
How to Apply
TWS membership is required for valid certification. Before submitting an application, become a member of The Wildlife Society.
- Complete the appropriate application form (download forms below).
- Submit the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit transcripts and other supporting materials, if applicable. Materials can be submitted via email.
- Submit application payment via the online payment form that will be emailed to you upon application submission (see Application Fees below).
Applications are accepted on a continuing basis. Applicants should be notified of a final decision on their application within 6 months of all application materials and payment being received.
Submit all applications to email@example.com. Applications will be processed once all materials – including the application form, transcripts (if required), supporting documents, and payment – have been received.
- Associate Wildlife Biologist® Application – This application is for individuals who have met the education requirements but have not yet obtained at least 5 years of professional-level wildlife experience in the previous 10 years.
- Certified Wildlife Biologist® Application – This application is for individuals who have met both the education and experience requirements, and have not previously been certified as either an Associate or Certified Wildlife Biologist®. If approved, CWB® certification must be renewed every 5 years to remain valid.
- Upgrade (AWB® to CWB®) Application – This application is for individuals who have previously been certified as an Associate Wildlife Biologist® and have now acquired at least 5 years of professional-level experience to be qualified for the Certified Wildlife Biologist® designation.
Application fees can be submitted via credit card. Once an applicant submits their application to firstname.lastname@example.org, they will be emailed a credit card payment form that must be completed before the application can be processed.
- Associate Wildlife Biologist® Application: $115 or $95*
- Certified Wildlife Biologist® Application: $155
- Upgrade (AWB® to CWB®) Application: $75
*Applicants meeting certain incentive criteria can pay a reduced AWB® application fee of $95. See application for details.
CWB® Renewal Application
By renewing the CWB® certification, professionals demonstrate their commitment to excellence through continued learning and professional development. Renewal encourages the maintenance and advancement of high technical and social skills needed by today’s wildlife professionals.
CWB® Renewal Fee: $25