Charter: Download the Working Group’s charter here.
The Native Peoples’ Wildlife Management Working Group was granted official status from The Wildlife Society in March 1998.
Goals of Working Group include:
- Enhance cooperation among native, state, provincial, and federal government agencies related to wildlife management issues.
- Facilitate communication and exchange of information among members of TWS interested in wildlife management issues facing native people.
- Enhance knowledge and technical capabilities of wildlife professionals in natural resource issues that affect native people.
- Promote projects and programs that benefit wildlife resources and enhance wildlife management opportunities for native people.
- Encourage native students to pursue careers in wildlife professions.
- Increase public awareness and appreciation of traditional native knowledge regarding wildlife and wildlife management.
- Educate people on the cultural, spiritual, and subsistence values of wildlife to native people.
- Enhance awareness of Federal Trust responsibilities of Federal agencies to native people.
- Assist TWS in preparing position statements and policies related to issues that affect native people.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship with the Native American Fish and Wildlife Society