In addition to over 500 national wildlife refuges that are free to access year-round, 31 refuges across the country that normally charge entrance fees will waive admission during special dates in the new year.
Free admission will be offered on all public refuges on the following dates in 2017:
- January 16: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- February 20: Presidents’ Day
- September 30: National Public Lands Day
- October 8: First Sunday of National Wildlife Refuge Week
- November 11-12: Veterans Day Weekend
These refuges, part of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Wildlife Refuge System, offer opportunities to experience wildlife, nature, and the outdoors across the largest network of wildlife conservation lands in the country. The refuges that usually charge admission – less than $10 per vehicle – do so to fund recreation-related projects.
Read more at the USFWS website.